Sunday, January 12, 2014

A found treasure in the bookcase.....

I was doing a bit of organizing on the book shelf in my bedroom and suddenly an avalanche of "stuff" came tumbling down.  As I was putting stuff back on the shelf, I noticed this...

Yep, this was my mom's 5 year diary that she began in January of 1932.  It had been a Christmas present from her Aunt Ann.  It has a worn brown leather cover and a lock that at one time had a key - but no longer works.  This is her writing - Nona Etta Toensing - received from Aunt Ann  Christmas, 1931.  Now let me tell you that my mom would think it was just crazy that I was sharing about this today.  She would have no idea why I thought it was amazing to have this book in my hands.  And I had to look at January 12.
As my mom would say, there is "nothing special" about what she wrote.  Often she just reported what she did at school or in the later years, at work.  I noticed on January 11 of 1932 she noted "It's a real blizzard today!"  But none the less, on the next day, things went on as usual.  No snow day in 1932 - school as usual.   On Saturday, January 12, 1935 she says that she had a persimmon and loved it!  Now considering that they lived in South Dakota, and it was the middle of winter.  Plus they rarely had anything extravagant.  So eating a persimmon was big news!  I would imagine that this was the first time my mom had ever tasted one.  My mom recorded her important family events like the birth of nieces and nephews.  She delighted in playing cards and often went to "card parties".  There are many mentions of  both ice skating and roller skating. On October 25, 1936 she penned the words "Well, diary I am now married.  I am Mrs. Harry A. Johnson".   In fact, that is the last entry in this book.  It was as if she closed one chapter of her life and started a whole new book. 
 
I think that the importance of this little 3 inch by 5 inch book is that there is a direct connection to my mom.  I can trace over the writing and know that it was her hand that wrote those words.  I can "hear" her in every sentence.  The pages are filled with references to church, choir rehearsals, and young people's society (youth group).  She also saw a large number of movies.  It is fun to see the names of the movies and the particular ones that she especially enjoyed.  And there are many mentions of her friends and family.  For me this represents my mom's "journal".  As I have been making it a point to return to putting "words on a page" every day in 2014, this book reminds me of the importance of my journaling and this blog.  These words will someday be a direct connection to me for my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. And now there is a connection to my mom.  So when I am sharing about my ordinary days, some good and some stressful, I will be thinking about 82 years in the future when someone comes upon these words, and sees value in them. 
 
Jesus, thank you for found treasures in my bookcase.  Holy Spirit, thank you for the reminder of my mom today.  Thank you for my family - past, present and future.  It is an amazing thing that we can stay connected to our generations by our words.  Jesus, help me to be faithful to share all that you are speaking to me.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment