Friday, January 3, 2014

Preparing for promotion day......

Here is my sweet Lia, way WAY back in 2009 when she walked across the bridge and "graduated" from 2 year old preschool to 3 year old preschool!  It was her first "PROMOTION"!   Today, at work, I spent most of the day preparing for promotion day.  You see, on Monday there will be lots of confusion and probably, lots and lots of tears.  This will be happening because Monday is "promotion day" at my school.  All of the kids who have had November or December or early January birthdays will be promoted to the older class. So even the littlest in the baby room will be losing some friends to the toddler room.  Today I was working in the 3 year old room.  There are 8 friends moving out of the 3 year old room and 5 friends moving INTO the three year old room.  This process requires lots of work for the teachers.  There are cubbies that need new names.  There are folders and charts and name tags that need to be changed. It's almost like the start of a new school year. Taking out 8 kids and adding 5 mean that you have a totally different group of 20 kids. Even the names on the rug in circle time need to be changed (If you think this sounds odd to have names on the rug so that the kids have an assigned spot, you have never witnessed what happens when three or four very active boys sit shoulder to shoulder during circle time.  Not good. Assigned spots allow us to "divide and conquer!") All this to say, it was a busy, busy day.  And I have been thinking about "promotions".

Several years ago I had many, many words about coming into a year of promotions. I remember the feeling of excitement and joy.  I didn't really understand what these words meant in the spiritual, because I was thinking in the natural.  I felt that I would be coming into a higher level - you know, the next grade up!  There would be new things and more to learn.  I remember also thinking about what it means to get a promotion at a job.  Usually a promotion means new responsibilities and a bigger salary.  But what actually happened in that next year for me did not fit my idea of promotion. Things did not go well that year. It was a time of shaking and in fact crumbling. I even lost my job.It really did not feel like a promotion in any sense of the word.  But now, looking back on that year, I can see all that the Lord was doing deep in my spirit.  There was a lot of junk that needed to be stripped away - and that happened.  I needed to have my priorities straightened out and they were.  I thought I knew exactly what I was supposed to be doing and where I would end up.  Boy, was I ever wrong.  This year of promotion was all about the plans and purposes and destiny of Jesus being promoted in me.  It was about Jesus being promoted over ME!   And that reminded me of this verse (actually the very old song that I was humming while typing this!).......

Galatians 2:20 -   I am crucified with Christ nevertheless I live, yet not I, but Christ, liveth in me. And the life that I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the son of God, who loved and gave himself for me. 

And now, looking back at the last 5 years, I am beginning to understand exactly what Jesus was saying to be about promotion.  This has been a 5 year promotion process that has gone deep into my spirit and taken me to a much higher place, closer to Jesus.  And the process is not done.  The words that I have been hearing about "expecting the unexpected" and also drawing closer to Jesus are still part of that promotion that I heard about more than 5 years ago.  I am thankful for the reminder today, that Jesus is in the business of promotion!

Thank you Jesus for once again, using my day to day life to remind me of your plans, purposes and destiny.  Holy Spirit continue to work in me and bring me to the place you desire for me.  Bless all of those little ones being promoted on Monday.  Please help the transitions go smoothly and calmly.  Bless all of the teachers at this school and Jesus, help me to reflect your light and life to everyone that I work with.   And Jesus,  thank you again for Lia and all that you are doing in her life.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment