Saturday, January 18, 2014

Results of a productive day.

So I had a very productive day today.  It was snowing outside AGAIN, so Ken and I just decided to stay in.  I decided to do all the end of the year filing.  So I went through the drawer full of papers, statements, bills, reports, etc and sorted it all.  I managed to start organizing for taxes and put together anything I would need for that job.  I then managed to actually get everything filed.  I even went online and looked at all of our retirement accounts and made sure everything looked okay.  I did some laundry, took out some trash, and even spent some time doing some scrapbooking.  I organized some photos by event and sorted a bunch of pictures.  And then I decided to do this on-line professional development class for my work. This was the result of that activity.

 
I actually got this piece of paper which is good for 3 hours of credit of Professional Development.   I am quite happy about this since I need to have 15 hours by next October and most of the classes are NOT on line and also cost you money to attend.  But I have a few comments about this class. 

1.  Are there really daycare teachers that do not know that preschool children need 2 to 3 glasses of milk a day?
2.  Do these same teachers not know that a food label of "sodium" means SALT?
Seriously, there was a 20 minute section devoted to salt.  The primary object of this portion of the lesson was when reading food labels, sodium means salt.
3.  Have they ever really tried to get twenty little 3 year olds to eat legumes? Or dried beans? 
4.  Serving food family style?  You have got to be kidding me!
(Family style would mean that the children serve themselves out of bowls and only take what they want.  From my observations in the last couple of months there would only be 2 or 3 kids that actually ate a balanced meal.  Several would only eat the bread, some would eat the fruit, others would only eat the meat (if there was ketchup), and very few would eat the vegetable. And that is assuming you actually HAVE things that resemble meat, or vegetables, or fruit.   I would like to know who would be cleaning up the mess if we let the kids pass dishes of food around!  I can't imagine that the person who made that recommendation has ever been a teacher in a room with 15 or 20 three year olds. Get real here.  Maybe if you have 5 or 6 kids you could pull this off) 
5.  And exactly how are you supposed to include peanut butter or other nut butters or eggs in your daily menus when you have so many children with allergies?
****As a side note, last weekend I completed another professional development course on allergies.  The primary purpose of that teaching was use of an epi-pen!  I guess it is good that I took that course first!
6.  Lastly, don't they realize that teachers have NOTHING to do with the food that is purchased or prepared or served in most daycare centers? 

So, my comments aside, it was a productive day.  Isn't it funny how much better you feel when you actually accomplish something and have something to show for it? I guess that is why I love scrapbooking.  There are all of those albums to admire.  And today I also have that certificate in hand to get those professional development hours. 

Jesus, thank you for productive days and accomplishments.  Holy Spirit, remind me to be grateful for the organization that provided that online course today.  Jesus, help me to remember the things that are really important and to let go of the things that are not necessary.  Thank you for a relaxing day that brought refreshment to my spirit.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment