Monday, January 20, 2014

Taking the first step........in Jesus' time!

Today I have been contemplating this quote from my devotion.....

It's not easy to head off into uncharted waters, but every journey starts with a first step. Fear will keep you from taking that first step, from untying the boat from the dock. Fear will also keep you from making new discoveries. Don't let fear keep you tied up, set sail and see what God has planned for you.

This resonated with me since, more than once, I have been given the same advice.  Someone once told me "Jesus can't steer a docked boat.  You have to be untied from the dock and setting sail for Him to steer you onto the path of your destiny. 

I admit that I am one that really likes to have the trip mapped out BEFORE I untie that rope and set sail.   The problem is, I don't seem to go anywhere using this method!  As a matter of fact, the last few years I have been just tied up at that dock.  Not going anywhere and not accomplishing anything.  I have not gotten any closer at all to my destiny.   And I certainly have not felt that I was on the right path. 

But I admit that it is fearful. There is a lot of unknowns when you leave that security of the dock.  And the worst is the fear of making the wrong decision and going the wrong way.  Sometimes I find myself even wondering if I am supposed to be out there sailing at all.  Maybe I am supposed to be tied up at the dock.  Have you ever felt like that? 

Then I read the Momastery Blog today and it ended like this......
You can’t miss your boat. It’s yours. It stays docked till you’re ready. The only boat you can miss is someone else’s. Let them have theirs while you wait for the boat God made for you. God’s never early and never late. And know that love and life are patient. And that God is forever tries.

This was just the encouragement I needed tonight.  I can trust that the Holy Spirit will prompt me to set sail when the time is right.  And more than that, Jesus will not be upset at me for staying docked the last few years.  So if you are feeling or sensing some of the same things I have been today, take heart!  Jesus is patient and the Holy Spirit will get us where we need to be. 

Jesus, thank you for this today!  Holy Spirit thank you for reminding me that you are never late! And thank you for always reminding me that I am not in charge.... you are!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment