Wednesday, January 22, 2014

When important people are gone......

Today I was thinking about this picture of me, my  mom and dad and my sister Karen, taken in 1957.  It came to my mind at work when I saw this one little girl with her mom.  I don't know what it was about this little one and her mom, but I suddenly was thinking about this picture.  It certainly wasn't the clothes (especially since it is below zero - again - and the girl was wearing a big puffy coat).  But I couldn't wait to get home and find this photo to look at it more carefully. 

Yes, there was something that triggered my mind going to this photo.  I am not exactly sure where this photo was taken.  I was just 3 years old.   I love that my dad has his camera around his neck.  And look how stylish my sister is!  This was taken in 1957 and I love that Karen looks like the college girl that she was.  I love my mom holding me and her big smile!  But it is still a mystery to me why I was remembering this picture today. 

Truthfully (and remember that I promised truth when I started this blog), when I look at this picture, I am just missing these three people very much!  Even though I am sure that my mom, dad and sister are celebrating right now in heaven, there are just days when I feel the loss more.  When my dad died, I wasn't overly surprised.  He had been sick for some years and was in his 70's.  My mom was almost 96.  My sister, however, was only in her 60's when she died and it was a shock.

The last couple of days I have been a bit hard on myself.   And I've been feeling sort of in a funk. No real reasons, just have had a bad case of the blahs.  Of course Ken would say that it has something to do with the constant snow and the return of below zero weather.  I suppose that might be contributing to my general malaise.  And now I am thinking that I just haven't realized that I was simpling missing these important people!  I know that I have blogged before about missing my mom and dad and my sister.  I am sure that everyone out there reading this blog, has their own missing loved ones.  My thought today is....... it is okay to be missing these important people.  

And then here comes my favorite little thought for the day.
Today, Lyn, we believe God wants you to know that...you are needed, you are wanted, you are loved.
 
So I want to remind you (and myself)  that even when you feel "blah"and think that you are not needed or wanted, and when you are just missing all of those important people who are not longer here, Jesus loves you!  And more than that, there is a plan and purpose for you, waiting to be discovered and worked out. 
 
I am still missing my mom, dad and sister.  But I admit that I feel much better, just sharing these thoughts! 
 
Jesus, thank you for your incredible plan, purpose and destiny.  Thank you for you love!  Holy Spirit thank you for the reminders and the gentle direction that you give to lead me to the heart of the matter.   Give comfort to all who grieve and bring an added measure of peace.  Thank you.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment