Thursday, January 30, 2014

Happy Birthday Annaleigh

Is there anything sweeter than a newborn baby?  Or anything more precious?  I don't think so..... especially today.  Introducing my new little granddaughter Annaleigh Ellen.  She is just about 2 minutes old in this picture, after they placed her on Gwen's tummy.  Look at that wonderful face.  She arrived a healthy 7lbs2oz and 19.5"long. 
And she is beautiful.

You might have noticed that I missed a couple of days of posting.  I've been a bit busy the last couple of days.  This was a long process for Gwen and Tim, but through it all they have been such troopers.  They had several days of very little sleep and an extra trip to the hospital and doctors before the actual event.  It is really an experience to stand by and watch your child go through this process.  I am forever grateful that Gwen has invited me to be a part of the birth experience for all of her children.  I was humbled to watch my daughter and son-in-law endure this painful event with grace and good humor.  And then to welcome the newest member of our family.  Nothing can compare to this. 

I did an awful lot of praying in the last 24 hours.  As Gwen and Tim were able to rest and sleep for a few minutes, I kept my eye on the monitors and my heart and spirit were trained on Jesus.  It seems kind of odd to PRAY for pain, but I was actually asking for longer and stronger contractions to bring forth the birth.  And I was praying for rest and peace for Gwen as she went through this.  What a blessing it was, near the end of the process, when the charge nurse came in to evaluate Gwen's progress.  She was a cheerful African American women who promptly said that she would be praying for good progress for Gwen.  Both Gwen and I agreed that she sounded Kenyan!  And my spirit just jumped when she said that she was praying.  I agreed that I had been and would be praying.  When baby Anna's arrival actually happened much more quickly than expected, she explained "Oh, the wonder of prayer!"  There was such a calm and peaceful spirit in the room - even though there was quite a scramble to get everything ready.  It was amazing to have this praying nurse in the room.  It was just another way I was assured of the wonderful plan and purpose Jesus has for Annaleigh. 

I got to spend about an hour with Gwen, Tim and Annaleigh after her delivery.  And this included the best thing in the world....... I got to sit in a rocking chair and rock my new granddaughter.  It was just the best thing in the world.   Yes, this was a wonderful day for a birthday.  Happy Birthday Annaleigh Ellen!

No comments:

Post a Comment