Monday, January 27, 2014

Sun Dogs.......again and a reminder of the covenant!

So this morning on my way to work, I was treated to another amazing display of "Sun Dogs".   If you don't know what a "Sun Dog" is.....

A sun dog (or sundog), mock sun[1] or phantom sun,[2] scientific name parhelion (plural parhelia), is an atmospheric phenomenon that creates bright spots of light in the sky, often on a luminous ring or halo on either side of the sun.[3]
Sundogs may appear as a colored patch of light to the left or right of the sun, 22° distant and at the same distance above the horizon as the sun, and in ice halos. They can be seen anywhere in the world during any season, but they are not always obvious or bright. Sundogs are best seen and are most conspicuous when the sun is low.
 
 
The first time I saw sundog's was on December 19, 2005.  That day, I was able to get some amazing pictures.  Here is one from that day.
Today I was not able to get to a place to take a great picture.  But as I made a turn around a corner almost to my work, I saw the full arc rainbow around the sun.  And it was stunning.  When you see these you really think that there are 3 suns rising! And this morning they were that bright.  At first I couldn't really see the full arc rainbow.  But as the sun got slightly higher in the sky, the rainbow appeared.  It took my breath away.  Yes, it was a good way to start the day.

All that to say, this was a severe weather emergency day.  The temperature was -8 and the wind chill temp was -35.  Yes, it was cold.  And all the schools were closed.  And tomorrow looks even worse.  It is predicted that when I leave for work it will be -13 and wind chill of -40.    I still had to go to work.  And it was an extra busy day since there were extra children at the center (all those kids who were off of school). And all the schools will be closed tomorrow also.  And I have to go work tomorrow!

But the appearance of that rainbow really lifted my spirits.  It is a lot like seeing a rainbow after a really bad rain storm.  It is that assurance that the worst is over.  And it is a reminder of our covenant keeping God.  A rainbow always causes me to breath a littler deeper and relax and rest.  The feeling is the same when I remember that I am under God's covenants.  What a blessing it is to know that I can rest in the promises of God.  Yes, it is a good day to be thankful that I am a child of the King! And I am so thankful for this amazing atmospheric phenomenon and the full arc rainbow that shined down on me this morning!

Jesus, thank you for all the blessing you pour down on us every day.  Thank you for bringing bright spots into the coldest and darkest time of the year.  Holy Spirit, what an amazing way to remind me that I am safe and secure as a child of the King - and under the covenant.  Keep us all warm and peaceful during the dark and uncertain times.  Thank you for spectacular shows in the sky!  Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment